Pack 130 organizes two hikes per year and we always go hiking during the two weekend camping trips. See the pack calendar for specific dates, times and locations. Attendance at all hiking events is completely optional. We have numerous options around here to enjoy mountain trails and go to places in Chamonix, the Jura, etc.
- Scouts from different dens can get to know each other better, even if they are in different grade levels.
- Scouts look forward to earning their patches and hiking stick.
- Hiking and camping are big parts of scouting at older levels, and regular hikes as Cub Scouts help build experience to prepare for those programs.
How We Hike (a.k.a. the “Rules”)
- Safety first!
- All scouts of Pack 130 are invited to the Pack hikes.
- Stay on the designated trails at all times.
- Parents who choose to bring siblings along will be responsible for their safety and for making sure that they keep up with the other hikers. Please only bring siblings who will be able to keep pace with the scouts.
- Parents MUST attend (no drop-off/pick-up option).
- At least two adult leaders, Hike Leaders, from the pack must be in attendance on all hikes.
- Leave No Trace principles will be followed at all times.
- Be respectful of others using the nature trails and give way to bikers, horse riders and runners who may be using the trails.
Equipment – Clothing (Scouts and Leaders)
Warm Weather Hikes:
- Long Pants (recommended – light colored are best)
- Comfortable shoes (gym or hiking) and socks are required to avoid blisters and/or sprains (avoid sandals, crocs, flip flops, etc.) If it has rained in the days before a hike, we may encounter mud on the trail – shoes and pants may get a little muddy.
Cold Weather Hikes:
- Warm hat
- Fleece pants (inner layer) + wind/water proof pants (outer layer)
- T-shirt/long johns (inner layer) + fleece jacket +wind jacket (outer layers)
- Weatherproof boots
- Warm socks
- Neck covering (scarf/hood)
- Winter coat
Equipment – Gear (Scouts)
Please supply the following prior to arriving at the hiking event:
- Bug Repellent
- Rain Gear / Ponchos recommended (if rainfall is expected)
- Container of water for the hike
- Compass (optional)
- Binoculars (optional)
Equipment – Gear (Hike Leaders)
- First Aid Kit
- Cell Phone