Minutes 2018-19

September 4, 2018 Meeting

Attendees:

Ellen Egan (Chair, Webelo Den Leader), Brian Sodergren (Cubmaster, Bear Den Leader), Antony Newborough (Assistant Cubmaster), Lorna Brown (Quartermaster, Lion Den Leader), DC Cowley (Webelos Den Leader), Debbie Hughes (Tiger Den Leader), Cathy Richardson (Treasurer, Bear Den Leader), Marie-Claire Sodergren (Secretary, Webmaster)

Minutes:

  • Registration – all persons interested form sports day were sent email from Ellen with registration info and den leaders informed of potential members. Only 5 were able to register. Ellen must approve each application. Den leaders should put all persons in scoutbook. Ellen needs den numbers from Lorna. Ellen will set up computer at pack meeting to help parents register.
  • Charity – den leaders should contact parents to get suggestions, keeping in mind charity should come in to a pack meeting to provide overview of charity.
  • Bank account – Cathy should open bank account with post finance. Fee is 5 chf per month.
  • Camping
    • List of attendees – MC will send link and password
    • Food and bonfire (need wood?) – AOLs will bring bread, Webelos will do hot dogs, Bears will do soup. People should bring wood (David’s den working on it). Antony will bring massive pot for boiling water.
    • Hike option – 4 km, last 3 km is steep (500 elevation). Will start at 13h30 and take about 3-4 hours.
    • One of the AOL should do the ceremony introduction before camp fire.
    • Will try to have a flag ceremony. Brian will bring these.
  • Ski weekend – the Committee voted and Kanderstag was agreed upon as the location. David will contact them to book.
  • Hockey Night – home game is Saturday December 1. Brian will contact Christer to get tickets. MC to update website. Tickets are sold during November pack meeting and pinewood derby.
  • Pinewood Derby
    • Bernie has info to order track. Margaret will help so it arrives at swiss mission so we dont pay duties. Ellen will check on who has the computer that was just bought. Lorna will check her basement.
    • Committee to review pinewood derby webpage and provide feedback.
  • Scoutbook – all updated? – and Reminder that all leaders should do or renew their Safety protection training. Youth protection training has changed and everyone should take it.
  • Pack meeting order of events
    • Flag ceremony AOLs
    • Scouts seated in circle – no mats – and will be outside since weather is nice
    • Welcome (introduce leaders, intro to scouting, silence test)
    • Awards (line up basketball style to congratulate)

October 9, 2018 Meeting

Attendees:

Ellen Egan (Chair, Webelo Den Leader), Brian Sodergren (Cubmaster, Bear Den Leader), Antony Newborough (Assistant Cubmaster), James Strait (AOL Co-Den Leader), DC Cowley (AOL Co-Den Leader), Alec Birkbeck (Wolf Assistant Den Leader), Marie-Claire Sodergren (Secretary, Webmaster)

Minutes:

  • Charity
    • Antony will contact schoolinabag.org. Will be finalized this month in time for Pinewood Derby fundraising.
  • Shirts – sizes for girls
    • Need to order XS… many girls don’t want to wear them as they are extremely large on them; in meantime, should allow them to exchange M for S
  • Hockey night update – need to finalize so we can sell for Nov
    • Christer contacted and waiting to hear back.
  • Hike – all set?
    • On Sunday
    • Organized by Webelos who will meet about an hour ahead of time. There will be leader and a sweeper. Meet by telecabin. Reminder will be made at pack meeting on Friday. Brownies will join hike.
  • Bobcat badge – remind to wear uniforms. Who has face paint?
    • 11 Tigers all set to go and a few new from other dens. Ceremony already planned. Just need face paint. Need to ask Lorna.
    • Also mention number of bobcat badges needed.
  • Awards for Friday – den leaders should tell Lorna which are needed and she will hand these out to leaders on Friday and they will hand out to scouts throughout the year.
  • Pinewood Derby
    • Each den with usual assignments: all ranks clean up
    • Track has been ordered and on its way
    • Will need to test it out at least one weekend prior to event
    • James had miscellaneous items such as banners to hand over for event
    • Brian will MC
    • Need volunteer to run software
    • Need tech support on day of event
    • Chris, Danny and Mark volunteered to run pinewood
    • Pinewood derby cars will be handed out on Friday
    • Send out email to den leaders regarding their responsibilities, especially to Bears regarding what to buy for food
    • Committee should review rules provided online for pinewood derby (see http://www.pack130geneva.org/activities/pinewood-derby/)
    • Antony will help with testing of the track; James can also help if before Nov 4
    • Test day tentatively on Sat November 3
  • Kandersteg
    • Not available on original date
    • 2-3 Feb is new date. Update website.
    • Opening ceremony (outside with igloo building), dinner on Friday, treking, movie night, ski lessons (organized by Pinkies)…
    • There are numerous badges that could be earned at Kandersteg
  • Next committee meeting on 6 November
  • Campout feedback was excellent
    • Next year make sure to also do dinner together; consider breakfast together as well (twisties – James idea)

November 6, 2018

Attendees:

Brian Sodergren, Ellen Egan, Antony Newborough, Lorna Brown, David Cowley, Chris Land-Kazlauskas, Cathy Richardson, Marie-Claire Sodergren

Minutes:

  • Hockey night
    • We have 120 hockey tickets, at 15 CHF each
    • To be sold on Friday and Saturday (pack meeting and Pinewood Derby)
  • Bank account update
    • Cathy and Lorna will be card holders
    • It will take 10 working days
    • Only 11 out of 54 scouts have paid so far
    • Will consider credit card payment online for ski weekend and registration fee next year
  • Pack meeting on Friday
    • Autumn hike patches will be handed out
    • Badges – Walkabout and Sportsmen (Webelo), Castaway (AOL), Balloo the Builder (Bears), Fears Feathers and Furs (Bears)
    • Announcements will be made about paying dues, online registration, hoodies for 45 CHF, hockey tickets for 15 CHF, ensuring everyone signs up for volunteering for pinewood derby, the chosen charity (School in a Bag)
    • Dave will show video using projector for Kandersteg ski weekend and do a song
  • Ski weekend
    • Will do a doodle to get people registered
    • Dave will check on payment – to the pack or directly to Pimkies?
  • Blue & Gold Dinner
    • Need to reserve a spot for the event
  • Pinewood Derby
    • Lorna will arrive at 8:30 but official set up time starts at 9am
    • Ellen went through responsibilities by den to confirm everyone is all set
    • For running the event, will need at least 1 person at top, 1 at bottom, 1 running the pit, 2 adults on the computer (minimum of 6 adults and 3 scouts)
    • Lorna will go on Thursday to see set up, Chris will join
    • Will need to use step down transformer with track
      • Will use one that Chris has but something to keep in mind for future
    • Need to set up a pit stop with glue, spare weights, drill (no graphite)
    • Decorations
      • Ellen has 1 pinewood derby sign but there are no other decorations
      • Just need signage to direct people up to the cafeteria
      • Antony will print/bring posters for charity
      • Tigers will do flag ceremony
    • Prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd overall, awards for best each rank, multiple awards for design
    • Scouts should wear class A uniform

January 22, 2019

Attendees:

Brian Sodergren, Ellen Egan, Antony Newborough, Lorna Brown, David Cowley, Marie-Claire Sodergren

Minutes:

  • Ski weekend
    • Lorna has prizes. If needed can use the KISC store
    • Ellen to check with Chris about laptop for movie night
    • Volunteers for movie night will be found at event as den leaders will likely be igloo building etc
  • Blue and gold
    • Genthod communal hall is the location
    • Date changed to march 23rd to accommodate facility
    • Theme is ‘school’ to go with our charity
  • Committee positions
    • Lorna stepping down as quartermaster. Has potential replacement lined up.
    • Ellen looking for new den coordinator. Again, potential replacement identified.
  • Finances
    • Ellen provided bill for insurance to Brian who will give to Bernie to pay.
    • Brian to check with Bernie to get bank account details and see if John is still on the account so we can set up under new treasurer.
  • Other business
    • Brian will check on girl cub scout uniforms from BSA.
    • Bike rally – Brian to send information to Wolves for reservation in Versoix
    • Youth protection training certificates needs to be completed by all den leaders and assistant den leaders; completion certificate to be sent to Ellen for rechartering

February 5, 2019

Attendees:

Attendees: Ellen Eagan, David Cowley (AOL), Brian Sodergren (Cubmaster), Antony Newborough (Asst Cubmaster)

Minutes:

  • Ski weekend recap
    • Committee agreed that Kandersteg was a lot more successful this year and suggests keeping location for next year
    • Brian will send to David list of who has paid
    • David recommends for next year: have 1 adults and kids price (add a little more to price to cover prizes and ski race); dens should look at Kandersteg for summer activity – check their website; keeping fire at the same time; might be worth changing agenda to mix it up (e.g., ice skating instead of tobogganing); aim for opening ceremony Saturday morning instead of Friday night; ski race – make scouts use first and last name to avoid confusion (or have reception print who they gave bibs to and use that) – plan categories for prizes in advance so not scrambling on-site to figure it out.
    • Antony suggests scouts wear scarfs only for these events, not full uniform.
    • Committee picked weekend for next year and David is provisionally booking – January n 25-26, 2020.
  • Snowshoeing
    • Will have 1 fast and 1 slow group
    • Suggestion to bring hot drinks and/or food/snacks after to share
    • Keep an eye on the weather. Brian will mention at the next pack meeting and update via scoutbook if needed with cancellation notice.
  • Treasurer’s report
    • Brian will send through Bernie’s list to den leaders to chase those that haven’t paid
    • Ellen will contact John and see if we can get him to add new treasurer to bank account
    • Antony will contact Cathy to obtain cash from Pinewood and send to charity
  • Blue and Gold
    • Ellen provided Attestation de responsiblitie civile
    • Marie-Claire to send through deposit to Genthod to reserve room
  • Pack meeting Friday
    • Because not all scouts have entire uniform, uniform inspection will be “lite” – will have scouts pair up and inspect or turn into a game to keep less formal and ensure den leaders mark who is missing what pieces of kit
    • Brian to provide update on Blue and Gold theme and update on shoeshowing
  • Updated roles
    • Discussion of having each volunteer only take on 1 role so as not to be overburdened. Discussion that it may not be feasible this year but something to look at in the future (get more volunteers now to plan for next year)
    • Those looking for others to fill new roles (such as QuarterMaster, Den Coordinator, etc) need to get new people involved ASAP to provide enough transition period. Leaders need to reach out now with the aim to get new volunteers at next committee meeting.
    • Antony has volunteered to be Outdoor Coordinator
  • Other business
    • Discussion of changing campout location:  Antony looking at potential alternatives

March 5, 2019

Attendees:

Brian Sodergren, Ellen Egan, Antony Newborough, Lorna Brown, David Cowley, Chris Land-Kazlauskas, Cathy Richardson, Marie-Claire Sodergren

Minutes:

Brian Sodergren, Ellen Egan, Antony Newborough, Lorna Brown, David Cowley, Cathy Richardson, Marie-Claire Sodergren, Debbie Hughes

  • New committee members
    • Mark will take over as quartermaster, Lorna will still handle hoodies
    • Would like to order all electives at beginning of year, instead of on-demand
    • Den coordinator potential is still Todd but need to wait until June to discuss handover for next year
    • Lorna will take over as committee chair as of next scouting year
    • Ellen is looking for a new person to be the liaison with La Chat for the meetings; same liaison as for girl scouts so ideally a parent with kids in La Chat or handling both cub scouts and girl scouts
      • No longer have keys but badges to get in
  • Any awards should be mentioned to Brian for Friday’s meeting
  • Kandersteg weekend already booked for January 24-26
  • Ellen gave us printer for pinewood derby and first aid kit to outdoor coordinator (Antony)
  • Friends of scouting can do a presentation at Blue & Gold Banquet
    • Will hand out brochures instead
  • Treasurer update
    • Ellen in contact with John
    • MC to draft minutes with outgoing and incoming members
    • Kathy to find out from Bernie who is on account and how to change over members
    • Debbie says for CDL PFA they just walked into UBS Versoix branch with meeting minutes to make the necessary changes
  • Next year scouts will not get their uniform until dues are paid
  • Can keep track of dues in scoutbook
  • Bike rally is May 12
    • Sponsor sheets should go out after Blue & Gold (end of March) by the Wolves
  • Blue & Gold
    • registration email to go out after Friday’s meeting
    • Lorna will buy a few more decorations and already has raffle tickets and prizes for cake competition
    • Ellen will invite George and Silvia
    • Bears to contact the Wolves regarding the tombola prizes that need to be organized
    • Need to cancel used toy sale – announce during scoutbook
    • Also need a NO NUT policy clearly stated in the next announcement for the dinner
    • Dave has PA system with 4.5 jack and adapter
    • Den leader skit – Lorna and Ellen
    • Hot drinks not needed (tell Tigers)
    • Marie-Claire to ask about supplies for cleaning
    • Bears will organize clean up and bring trash bags, brooms and mops if not provided by Genthod city hall
    • AOL bring knives for cake cutting
  • Other issues
    • Do we want to have the second-hand uniforms handed down?
      • Need to review the dues and where money goes so can figure out situation with uniforms
      • Should go along with reviewing with the dues structure
        • Consider splitting out uniform costs
    • Complaint from parent with changes in dates of events
      • send out email through scoutbook as soon as changes in dates
      • Bike rally was inaccurately marked for april 12th – corrected on website but need to send email that event is May 12

May 7, 2019

Attendees:

Brian Sodergren, Antony Newborough, Lorna Brown, Marie-Claire Sodergren, Mark Burgess, Debbie Hughes

Minutes:

  • Pack meeting Friday – whittling chips ready (Antony will make more copies of certificates), bobcat awards will be done (at least 3 tigers, Brian will ask other den leaders), awards for tigers for backyard jungle
  • Bike rally – Diane sent out reminder this week for Sunday
  • Camping – next month
    • Antony will send through all the info to committee; Marie-Claire to update website with details
    • Decision to be made on who will send sign up info to the pack and what format
    • Climbing with instructor can be booked for 600 chf per day – Committee agreed to pay this fee
    • Will cook chili for the group – need to figure out if will come out of pack account or ask den to bring in ingredients
  • Account access – Lorna and Marie-Claire will go to UBS next week with paperwork to switch over account holders
  • Positions
    • Need to find new Cubmaster to shadow Brian next year and take over as of 2020-21
    • Need to find secretary: Marie-Claire cannot hold both secretary and treasurer roles
    • Need to find a Den Coordinator for next year
  • Next meeting on June 4 will be to plan next year’s schedule including sports day, which needs to be moved up

June 4, 2019

Attendees

Brian Sodergren, Antony Newborough, Lorna Brown, Marie-Claire Sodergren, Mark Burgess, Debbie Hughes, Ellen Egan

Minutes

  • Roles for next year
    • Will split committee meetings from den leader meetings; committee to focus on admin issues and leaders meeting to focus on organizing den/pack events
    • Leaders
      • Brian – Cubmaster
        • Need to fill assistant cubmaster, preferably with 2 persons as assistants
      • Ellen – AOL
      • Antony – Webelos den 5
      • Cathy – still continuing for Webelos?
      • Bears no den leader; Tim interested; Lorna will speak to him
      • Debbie – Wolves
      • Lorna – Tigers
      • Will do lions again; parent of one of the Lions will need to step up as den leader
      • All leaders AND assistant leaders should do youth protection training
    • Committee mandatory positions
      • Chair – Lorna
      • Secretary/Quartermaster (now combined) – Mark
      • Treasurer – Marie-Claire
    • Other positions
      • Outdoor coordinator – Antony
      • Den coordinator – vacant but Kyra expressed interest in volunteering; Brian to discuss with her; Ellen will provide support during transition
  • Update website to reflect age of lions (MC)
  • Calendar of meetings and events was planned; see calendar
    • Lorna to book ecolint nations for sat oct 9
    • Brian will look into pack sports event (basketball, football or hockey)
    • Kandersteg for Jan 25-26 – Lorna will check with David if it’s already booked
    • Will use Genthod salle communale for Blue & Gold again, if available, with Nations as backup
    • Need to coordinate with Troops 77 & 130 on campouts with AOL in May